Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Silver Screen Love

I've been so bored lately. Seriously, ever since my movie musical sleepover, which left me extremely tired (we didn't even watch a movie, ironically), I have watching movies I find to be interesting. Turner Classic Movies (my favorite channel) is actually on right now. It's a movie called "Night Must Fall," and it seems cool. I came in watching in the middle of the movie, but it seems like a cool murder mystery flick.

Out of my sheer boredom, I will list my top 5 favorite movies of the moment. I guess I have to add my style inspirations. This is a fashion blog, after all....


5) V For Vendetta
I just saw this yesterday, and I love it! I'm not much into those weird facist fictional stuff (George Orwell wrote terrible novels--that was communism, but still), but this was interesting because of the weird love story mixed in. Natalie Portman did overact at some points, but her overall performance was quite well done. I actually think she pulled that shaved head off quite well, and she should keep her hair in the pixie style. It suits the shape of her head. I wish I could pull off such a hair cut; Britney would too. I would love to see this movie again. It's so confusing that you have to watch it again to get everything straight.


4) Pride and Prejudice
Okay, not the Colin Firth version. I bet that's a very good 6-hour feature, but I love the Keira Knightley version. It's so quotable, and the ending just sums up the movie with my hysterical laughter over it (I actually counted how many times he said, "Mrs. Darcy;" I forget the result though). I just saw it for the 500th time the other day, and my sister had been anticipating it for days. The movie just proves the genius Jane Austen was. And the costumes were fantastic. The white dress in that photo above would have been worn by me in that time.


3) Marie Antoinette
Though how innacurate this movie is, I still love it. And it did win costumes at the Oscars, too, but still. Marie Antoinette is such a style inspiration; she seemed so carefree and, well, just plain nuts. Well, I must admit that's me as well, but I just don't run a country and won't die by guillotine. I love the outfit where her hair was a nest or something. It was totally great. Maybe just the outfits [and the soundtrack] alone made me record this on my DVR...


2) The Apartment
I had to include a classic on here, and this one has to be in my top 5 favorite classics. I saw it maybe 2 weeks ago on TCM (of all places...), and Jack Lemmon made me laugh. The comedy was all kind of dated a bit, but it fit the movie. The movie was just so enjoyable, but the best thing of all was Shirley McClaine. I never knew she acted in movies back then! And she was so beautiful! She had a gorgeous pixie cut that everyone thought was so hot back then. I wish it could be same could be said of the modern day. (I seem the have a fetish for the pixie hair cut, don't I?) I could watch this movie so many times in a row. I really recommend it...

And my favorite movie of all...



1) The History Boys
I don't have a clue why this is my favorite movie/play. Maybe it's because of my almost 2-year anticipation to see the movie or the number of attractive British men that are found in the cast (I say about 4-5 in all, which is quite the miracle, if you ask me), but it's official: it's my favorite movie. It's beat out all my Jim Sturgess favorites (he was my former husband, so gorgeous, that man) and all the classics I've watched for years and memorized. It's certainly left an imprint in my life; I've been quoting it a bit too much, and it's preppiness has definitely inspired my wardrobe. I've been dying for blazers and oxford shirts lately and have felt the need to find some cool 80s clothes. Or I've probably just been dying to marry Posner (though gay in the movie, the actor is actually featured on the blog to your right). But, I will, literally, handcuff you to your couch to watch this movie. It's my ultimate favorite.

Hope you enjoy my extremely long post. Maybe my fingers will fall off my fingers onto my keyboard sooner or later...

3 comments:

Arielle said...

Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite movie! very good choice and the costumes in Marie Antoinette are amazingly detailed.

Ella Gregory said...

The History Boys is very very good! I love the film and the play as well.

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

hi from Paris crazy girl

as i am used to on friday, i visit some new cool blogs before i go to sleep (it's 4.00 am in Paris).
And according to what i see in your blog, i thought that you might like and be inspired by my Paris fashion weeks and street style photo reportages ..
you can appreciate them at www.styleandthecity.com

I wish you a great evening and hope that i was not intrusive

cheers from Paris : let's have fun, drink wine, switch links ! lol

Kamel
STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS